The Principles of Applied Science Award has been designed to deliver the Key Stage 4 Programme of Study for science by covering the key scientific principles vital for both scientists and citizens of the future. The qualification is appropriate for learners of all abilities who will benefit from a practical and applied approach to learning in a vocational context. It has been developed to:
- Exemplify scientific principles in vocational contexts, leading to an understanding of how those principles are applied in practice.
- Give learners the opportunity to gain a broad understanding and knowledge of science
- Give learners the opportunity to develop a range of related skills and techniques that are essential for successful performance in working life
- Give opportunities for learners to achieve a nationally recognised level 1 or level 2 science qualification and support progression into a more specialised level 3 vocational or academic course or into an apprenticeship
- Give full-time learners the opportunity to enter potential employment within a wide range of science sectors such as process, industrial, medical, or forensic.
Vocational learning in science is critical to enabling technical roles in the STEM sector to be supported. The qualification is appropriate for learners of all abilities who benefit from a practical and applied approach to learning in a vocational context. From the knowledge and skills developed in this qualification, a pupil may expect to seek employment at a junior level working in companies that manufacture pharmaceuticals, computerchip technology materials and food products; or in companies that investigate the causes of disease and help to combat pollution; or with energy companies and those that manufacture products reliant upon energy.